Roasted Leek and Bacon Pasta
This Roasted Leek and Bacon Pasta is a delicious and different pasta dish. The roasted leeks are sweet yet savoury with a mild onion flavour, which pair so perfectly with the salty bacon.
The roasted leeks take 30 minutes to roast, so they need to be in the oven before anything else happens.
You cut them into disks, but do not seperate the rings as they will burn in the oven before they get tender. Because of this make sure you cut off a good chunk of green end to ensure there is no grit or dirt between the layers. Wash and store the off cuts in the freezer, then add them the next time you make a stock or a soup.
Ensure you reserve some of the pasta cooking water as this helps to create a sauce with the bacon drippings.
Side: For this roasted Leek and bacon pasta serve a nice crisp green vegetable like steamed broccoli or green beans. Drizzle them with a little extra virgin olive oil, some course sea salt and a grinding of black pepper.
Wine: Generally leeks don’t pair well with red wines, however after they have been roasted the smoky flavour can take a light red wine like a Pinot Noir. This works fabulously with the bacon as well and would be our first choice. A Grenache would be a close second.
If you are in the mood for a white then we suggest a Sauvignon Blanc or a good Pinot Grigio.
As a great and fun alternative try pairing this with a cider, which will compliment the bacon and leeks splendidly.
Roasted Leek and Bacon Pasta
- 2 leeks
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 10 oz spaghetti (280g)
- 8 oz bacon (250g)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- Pre-heat the oven to 400ºF/200ºC.
- Start by prepping the leeks.
- You want to cut the root end and the dark green end off.
- Remove the outer strips of the leek and then cut the into half inch thick slices.
- Add them to a roasting tin and drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil.
- Season with salt and black pepper then roast for 30 minutes until tender.
- Once the leeks have been in for 20 minutes start on the pasta.
- Bring a large pan of water to boil and then add a generous amount of salt.
- Add the spaghetti and cook until al dente. (around 1 minute less than the packet suggests)
- Once it is cooked reserve a cup of the pasta cooking water and then drain the pasta.
- Whilst the pasta is cooking get the bacon cooking.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and add it to a large non-stick skillet along with the olive oil.
- Cook over a medium high heat until cooked and starting to crisp.
- Add the butter and the parsley and remove from the heat.
- Once you have drained the pasta (and reserved the cooking water) add the pasta and 1/2 cup of the cooking water to the bacon and butter mixture and stir over a high heat until well combined and emulsified.
- Add the cooked leeks and serve with fresh parmesan.