One Pot Pasta Genovese
Pasta Genovese, is a pesto dressed pasta with new potatoes and green beans. It is classic Ligurian dish where everything is cooked together in the same pan, making it a great one pot pasta, perfect for a mid-week meal.
Cooking everything together in one pan not only saves on washing up, it also makes this dish quick to prepare. The potatoes start cooking in boiling water, then the pasta is added and finally the green beans. Everything is drained and dressed with the pesto and dinner is served.
Whilst this is simple you have to ensure that you cut the vegetables up into small enough chunks, this way they cook through in the time the pasta cooks. Nothing worse than an undercooked potato.
We use a waxy new potato, leave the skin on for added fibre and then cut then into quarters. (This is with potatoes that are start out about 2 inch long).
The green beens need to be topped and tailed and then cut into thirds.
Doing all this ensures that everything is cooked fully when you are ready to drain the pasta.
A good store bought pesto is fine here. If you can find it some brands do a ‘Genovese’ pesto, which is slightly creamier in colour. But standard green pesto is just as good.
An extra garnish of basil and pecorino (or parmesan) gives the dish a little boost.
Appetizer: As this One Pot Pasta Genovese has potatoes and green beans in it already, we suggest skipping the side dish and serving this as a complete meal. Instead start the meal with a simple platter of foccaaia, olive oil and some black olive tapenade.
Wine: When it comes to pairing this Pasta Genovese the creamy nature of the pesto have to be taken into account, but more importantly the herbaceous flavor of basil. We would suggest a dry Sauvignon or a regional Vermentino. Both will balance the sweetness and creaminess whilst still holding their own with the basil.
One Pot Pasta Genovese
- 10 oz new potato
- 12 oz short pasta (340 g)
- 7 oz green bean
- 1/2 cup pesto
- extra virgin olive oil
- fresh basil
- grated pecorino (or parmesan)
- Cut the potatoes into quarters (see notes)
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, salt it generously and then add the potatoes.
- Set the timer for 8 minutes.
- Whilst the potatoes are cooking top and tail the green beans and then cut them into 3 pieces.
- When the potatoes have had their 8 minutes, add the pasta to the water.
- Cook the pasta for 4 minutes and then add in the green beans.
- Cook everything for a further 4 minutes.
- Check the pasta is cooked and then reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Return the potatoes, pasta and green beans to the pan, then stir in the pesto and 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking water.
- Stir gently over a low heat until everything is coated with the sauce.
- Serve with a drizzle of EVOO, some fresh basil and some grated pecorino.
Recipe NotesThe potatoes need to be about 1/2 inch long once cut up. For larger potatoes cut into eighth.
For another great One Pot Pasta dish try our One Pot Pasta with Rosemary Garlic Shrimp.