Chicken, Spinach and Garlic Pasta with Pangrattato
Juicy chunks of chicken, stirred through a creamy spinach and garlic pasta, topped with a salty and crunchy pangrattato. This Chicken Spinach and Garlic Pasta is a great mid-week meal.
Pangrattato is also known as poor mans parmesan, but don’t let that put you off. The buttery crispy crumb is fabulous with the creamy soft pasta. You could serve this Chicken, Spinach and Garlic Pasta with a simple grating of parmesan, it will be delicious. But try the pangrattao, it will be a revelation.
When you are making the pangrattato, once it has got to the crispy golden stage, remove it from the heat and then remove it from the pan. It will continue to brown in the hot pan and can quickly turn black.
Side: The chicken and spinach in this dish add plenty of nutrients to this pasta dish. But to brighten the meal further this is great served with a simple salad of fresh spinach and sautéed mushrooms. Top it with a little of the pangrattato to complete the meal
Wine: This Chicken, Spinach and Garlic Pasta with Pangrattato is rich, creamy and packed with garlic. This means it can carry a lightly oaked white wine like a chardonnay or an oaked Viognier.
Chicken Spinach and Garlic Pasta with Pangrattato
For the Pangrattato
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp butter
- 1/2 cup fresh or dried breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
For the Pasta
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 12 oz long pasta
- 2 cups spinach
To make the Pangrattato
- Melt the butter in a skillet with the olive oil and once it starts to foam add the breadcrumbs.
- Cook over a medium high heat until they are crisp and golden.
- Remove the breadcrumbs from the pan to prevent them burning then seasoning generously with salt and pepper.
To make the Pasta
- Chop the chicken into large chunks, Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and add the chicken pieces.
- Cook for 4 minutes over a medium high heat until the chicken is golden.
- Turn the heat down to low.
- Add in the butter and then crush in the garlic.
- Cook for 2 minutes before adding the wine.
- Bring the wine to a boil. Let it bubble for 5 minutes until it has evaporated by half.
- Add in the heavy cream and simmer gently over a low heat.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Salt it generously and then add the pasta. Cook until al-dente.
- Reserve a cup of the cooking water and then drain the pasta.
- Add the drained pasta to the sauce and stir well. Add in a couple of tablespoons of the reserved water. Until the pasta is well coated and the sauce is at the constancy you prefer.
- Add in the spinach, stir and then serve sprinkled with the pangrattato.
For another creamy chicken pasta try our Chicken Pasta with Rosemary Cream. Delicious, quick and so beautiful.