Chicken and Creamy Bacon Pasta
This creamy chicken and bacon pasta is sure to please the whole family. Succulent juicy chicken breast smothered in a creamy bacon sauce covering a mountain of pasta. This is comfort food at its very best.
The recipe uses 2 chicken breasts for 4 people, but rather than slice the chicken into the dish it is nice to serve a crispy fillet on the side. It adds more texture to the dish and stops it being ‘just a bowl of pasta’. To do this take the chicken breast and slice it horizontally through the middle so you end up with 4 chicken fillets.
Once you have the fillets they are dredged in a seasoned flour and then cooked over a medium heat to get them crispy and golden but still juicy and succulent. Be sure to add the salt and garlic powder to the flour mixture, it adds a great deal of flavour to your chicken and the final dish.
The creamy bacon sauce is packed with flavour yet simple to make. Cut the bacon into thin strips this makes it nicer to eat as you get a good meaty chunk rather than small pieces floating in the sauce. And don’t be afraid to cook it over a high heat, the crispy edges and juices stuck to the bottom of the pan are what turns the plain cream into a true bacon sauce.
Side: Although the rich nature of the creamy bacon sauce suggests a salad would be a good side (and it would be) all that sauce really needs some ciabatta to mop it up!
Wine: If you can find it an Italian Gavi di Gavi would be the perfect match to this creamy bacon pasta. If not then go for a good Pinot grigio or a dry Soave both will compliment the creamy bacon sauce without overpowering the flavour. For the red lovers a Teroldego or a light Pinot Noir would drink well with this.
Chicken and Creamy Bacon Pasta
For The Chicken:
- 2 large boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- black pepper
For The Pasta:
- 10 oz pasta (280g)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz bacon (250g)
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups half and half
- ½ cup finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp cornstarch
- Cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally to create 4 fillets.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, shaking off excess any excess and then set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large non stick skillet.
- Fry the chicken for 3 minutes on one side and then slip and cook for a further 3 minutes. The chicken should be golden and cooked through (thicker chicken breasts may need 4 minutes a side)
- Whilst the chicken is cooking bring a large pan of water to the boil.
- Salt it generously and cook the pasta as per the packet.
- Whilst the pasta is cooking make the sauce.
- Slice the bacon into thin strips and add it to the pan the chicken was cooked in.
- Fry the bacon until it starts to crisp then add the onion and cook for 2 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Reduce the heat under the skillet and add in the half and half. Bring to a gentle simmer and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Add the parmesan cheese to the sauce and simmer gently until the cheese has melted.
- Mix the cornstarch with a tablespoon of cold water add it to the cream sauce then mix through until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Remove a cup of pasta cooking water and then immediately drain the pasta
- Add the pasta to the sauce and thin with a little of the cooking water. Stir over the heat for a minute and then serve with the seared chicken.
Do you love creamy pasta? Why not try our Chicken Pasta with Rosemary Cream Sauce.